Monday, September 21, 2009

The uniqueness of others

Today practicing counseling and analyzing particular life's situations was very interesting and beneficial. During our class we being able play and replay situations and develop concept on how to screen clients. In real life by the word we say people judging us(no replay). This make us be more responsible and accountable for communications with others.When things not exactly going well, there is a need to acknowledge for improvement. There are two sides of interviewing process in counseling: a counselor's and a client's. Building counselor-client connection require understanding and envision of best intervention approach (sometimes take time). The counseling exercises we practice today show variety of possible dimensions to go, array of questions to ask and outcomes it can lead to. First impression is most strongest and first interview session is most essential for building foundation for collaborative relationship between counselor and client.
Today I have learn something new, that I can relate to my approach. I know I have an accent (sometimes it devalue my confidentiality), but never thought it will be not bad idea to ask my clients, if I have been understood well. So I appreciate for pointing this out. Counselors need to learn as much about themselves as about their clients and need be respectful of client's level of knowledge, experience and competency.

As we grow as unique persons, we learn to respect the uniqueness of others.
Robert H. Schulle