Friday, September 11, 2009

I enjoyed the first class and I like the blog idea because I think we will have a much better discussion here than on the Discussion Board for the class. I used the discussion board in a previous class and it just takes forever, and you cannot read everything at once like you can here. Thanks!

I thought her discussion on "the politics of substance abuse counseling" was enlightening, and another thing that stood out for me in the class was when she briefly mentioned working with court appointed clients that don’t really want help. I know we are all going to encounter this type of person. It will be difficult for me to work with a person who can think only of themselves and denies the spiritual values. When a person thinks they are right and everyone else is wrong, they do not seem to be mature enough to achieve the growth required for personal change.