Sunday, October 25, 2009

Assignment 4 of 9

After reading chapters 2 and 3 from TIP 35 I've found a new appreciation for clinicians and substance abuse counselors. I agree with the elements of current motivational approaches and found all approaches to be of great value for a substance abuse provider. I did not know that there are so many elements of effective motivation intervention. I feel that the frame approach, decisional balance exercises, discrepancies between personal goals and current behavior, flexible pacing, and personal contact with clients not in treatment are all excellent approaches in providing help to clients. The brief interventions used in emergency medical situations are also critical. I thought that the methods used in interviewing clients, giving responses to clients' questions, and allowing clients to make decisions on their own, by providing them with the necessary tool and information needed. I've always thought that the decision to seek help should be left up to the person needing the help. The reading says that a client's ambivalence should not be mistaken for denial. I think that most of the times when people are abusing drugs and/or alcohol there are underlining problems that need to be addressed, before a successful recovery can take place, and we should not prejudge clients based on their culture and positions in society. I did not know that there are certain ways to express empathy with clients based on their cultural background. I think this makes sense, especially since African Americans are apprehensive about dealing with the counselors and medical providers, due to past experiences, such as the Tuskegee Experiment. I found the methods in which the reading suggests that counselors avoid arguments with clients clever. Methods such as; "rolling with the resistance", and "agreeing with a twist". I think this really gives the client a sense of control over their treatment, and shows that its not about the counselors or medical providers. I remember when I use to work for a youth rehabilitation center in Memphis, TN. Our turn-over rate was so high, because the counselors could not deal with having a child talking back or using profanity towards them. I guess that they did not realize that it was not about them, and had they only applied the methods that they were taught they may have been able to deal with the situations that were presented to them. I found chapters 2 and 3 of TIP 35 to be a great motivation in improving relationships and treatment plans for the clients and the providers. I would want the principles and approaches used on me or my family members.